Physical Card Rules automate the process of setting General Ledger Vendor names for card transactions, even if the transaction description varies for each vendor.
For example, transactions with the description of STARBUCKSatlanta4321 or STARBUCKS73837 will be associated by Airbase to the correct GL Vendor of Starbucks if the Physical Card Rule is set to:
‘IF transaction contains starbucks then Starbucks.’
To set up a Physical Card Rule:
- Go to Accounting > Physical Card Rules.
- Add the following details in the Create a new vendor rule widget:
- Description: The common part of the transaction description that shows up in all transactions with that specific vendor.
- GL Vendor: Select the corresponding vendor from the drop-down menu. If the vendor isn’t listed, type in your vendor’s name and Airbase will create a vendor in the GL.
- Click Add Rule to confirm.
Once a rule is added, Airbase will match merchant strings to the correct GL vendors automatically.
- The code set in the Physical Card Rule is not case-sensitive.
- Even if rules are not set, Airbase will be able to set the categories with Auto-Categorization based on historical transaction data.
- You can also set multiple vendors to a single GL Vendor name. For example, transactions at Pete’s Coffee and Starbucks can be set to the GL Vendor name ‘Coffee’.