Bills created in Airbase can be paid by ACH transfer, Checks, and Virtual Cards.
If you choose to pay a bill using a Virtual Card, you can generate a One-time Virtual Card with:
- Unlimited transactions.
- Spend Limit set to the invoice amount.
- Card Expiry set to 30 days from the payment due date on the invoice.
- The invoice of the bill will be automatically attached to the Virtual Card transaction.
You have the option to share the card with your Vendor, if needed.
Generate the Virtual Card.
To pay a bill using a Virtual Card:
- Go to Bill Payments > Payments > Unpaid.
- Locate the bill.
- Scroll to the bottom to find the Payment Method section.
- Choose Pay via a Virtual Card.
- Click Generate Card.
The pop-up will give you the card details, which you can copy to pay your Vendor.
To share the Virtual Card details with your Vendor, use the Share Card option.
You will find the option to pay the bill using a Virtual Card irrespective of the payment type set while creating the bill.
Once the card is generated, the Payment Type of the bill will be automatically updated to Virtual Card.
When the Vendor is paid using the Virtual Card, the bill will be moved to the Bill Payments > Payments > Paid page.
- If Vendor Credits are applied, you will not be able to generate a Virtual Card for the bill.
- When a bill is paid partially using a Virtual Card, you cannot pay the rest of the amount by ACH transfer, Check, or Vendor Credits. The rest of the amount can be paid only using the Virtual Card.
- If a card was generated for a bill and was left unused, suspend the Virtual Card and pay the bill using ACH transfer, Check, or Vendor Credit.
Users need Pay Bills User Permission to generate a Virtual Card for the bill.
View Virtual Card details.
To view the details of the Virtual Card created for the bill:
- Go to Bill Payments > Payments.
- Locate the Bill under the Paid or Unpaid tab.
- Under the Virtual Card section, click See Card Detail.
You will be redirected to the Virtual Card details page.
Here you can,
- View the card number, expiration date, and CVV.
- Suspend the card.
- Change the Lock Status of the card.
- Audit the Transaction History.
- Share the card details with the Vendor.
- Export Transactions.
The card will be listed on the Virtual Cards > One-time Expenses page as well.
Suspended Virtual Cards can be found on the Virtual Cards > Suspended page. However, if you suspend a card before using it, it will not show up in Airbase.
When the Virtual Card created to pay a bill is charged, Airbase will create a separate payment entry and sync it with the GL. However, it will be attached to the bill, and the bill will be marked as paid.
If the card is charged multiple times, Airbase will create multiple payment entries corresponding to the same bill entry.
To review and sync the bill and payment entry, go to Accounting > Ledger Entries > Pending Review. For multiple transactions on a card, review and sync the first payment entry and the following payment entries will be synced automatically.